Saturday, May 5, 2012

Updated Art Supplies Storage

For our most recent update, click here.

I've previously shared the storage solution we have for kids' art and sensory materials. It's been working great, but it was missing a little something.



A little pretty.



Here's the new bookshelf:


Amazing what some spray paint ($3), chalkboard contact paper (maybe 1/16 of $7) and a chalk marker ($8) can do.


Large plastic bin holds scraps and works in progress.


The chalk marker works great straight on plastic, so I didn't have to stick a chalkboard label to the black play clothes bin (a repurposed dishwashing tub).


A new utensil caddy from Ikea ($3) corrals tools.




I cut construction paper and foam sheets into quarters for small-scale art. They're stored in painted drawer organizing baskets from Wal-Mart ($1/2).


A magazine holder from Target's Dollar Spot ($1) holds paper.


Sensory materials are stored in plastic jars (lids painted) from Wal-Mart ($2/ea).


The small art supplies are held in food storage containers (with painted lids) from Wal-Mart ($2/4). I drew my own template and cut chalkboard labels from the chalkboard contact paper. These labels would run about $5/12 on Etsy, but making them myself, they cost maybe 2-5 cents each. And I didn't even need an expensive vinyl-cutting machine to make them! ;)


A CD storage crate purchased on clearance from Wal-Mart ($1) holds socks and sunblock for outdoor play.



Photobucket

3 comments:

Simply Shelly said...

I Love that you spray painted the white plastic bins from walmart!! GAH! Why didn't I think of that!!! wonderful Idea! I love it :)

http://theoxfordplacediaries.blogspot.com/

Laura Ingalls wannabe said...

Thanks, Shelly. If you try it, make sure to do a topcoat of clear spray paint on top. I didn't at first and ended up having to touch up scratches the first day. The clear topcoat is working perfectly, though.

Hydrangeas and Harmony said...

So organized. Love the pretty aqua color! (Visiting via Delightful Order)