Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Fabric Busy Book

Margaret's gift from Santa this year was a fabric busy book. (The pages aren't crooked as they appear in the photos.  The book's just wrinkled from play.)

The same order of Alexander Henry fabric that's now been made into a dress for me, a tunic and shorts set for Margaret, a bib for a friend, and this book.  I still have about a yard left.  It's like zombie fabric.


Play peek-a-boo.


Doll's hair is functional.  As Margaret gets older, she can style it and add clips and baubles.

Button and unbutton the flowers.


Lift the nest to see a surprise.


Crinkle paper in the wings. (That blue cording has been floating around my house since I was a little girl.)

Jingle bells in bow.

Zip and unzip the corn.

Yellow corn is so predictable.  Pink corn is... ok, well, it usually signifies mold, but in Storybook Land, pink corn is super magic.

Walk the dog.


Dog house is made from a pair of cords I wore in high school.

Tie and untie the shoe.

"Shoelaces" made from reclaimed ribbon from a package I received.


Photobucket

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow that is brilliant! I am in awe of your skills! Next I want to know if you take orders.

Jillian F

Mindy said...

This book is truly incredible. What an eye for color and pattern. You are so talented. This will definitely be a family heirloom.

Laura Ingalls wannabe said...

Thanks, guys. It was a ton of fun to make, and it actually took a lot less time than I expected it to. I didn't mean for it to turn out so PINK PINK PINK!, but Margaret doesn't seem to mind.

Jillian, whenever I get through my mountain of Margaret's summer wardrobe sewing, say the word, and I can hook P up!

Anonymous said...

I would love to buy one...so the minute you decide to make them please take my order!

Anonymous said...

That book is beautiful. I want to make one now.

autumnlass

Val Allen said...

I love Laura Ingalls books!
Also I am encouraged by your post of Margaret's buzy book. I'm making one for my grandson's Christmas present but am not sure how to join the pages together, my pages are cut out of white (boring compared to yours!) cotton each page measuring 12.5 inches by 10.5 inches.
I would appreciate it very much if you would share how your put your book together :0)
Making it is very addictive!
Thank you for your brilliant and inspiring post.
Best wishes,
Val xx Berkshire UK

val Allen said...

Hi Karissa, I'm back. I DID make my Quiet book, I have posted the first two pages on my blog and intend adding to them each Wednesday.
Thanks again for your inspiration!
Val xx Berkshire UK

Anonymous said...

I would love to order one of these books. I am due at the end of December. If you are willing on making any to sell please email me groves4@att.net thank you!!!

Caitlin said...

Is there a pattern for this quiet book? Would love to know! crdemarco (at) gmail (dot) com

Anonymous said...

vera said...do you have a pattern for this book? It's great. Please reply here or to my email, vedoca39@bellsouth.net.

March 17,2013 at 6.28 PM

Stargazerss said...

I just adore this book and would love to make one for my niece. Is there a pattern you used or do you sell a pattern? I have no idea how to measure it all out!! Thanks for the wonderful inspiration.

Anonymous said...

This is a Simplicity pattern, right?

Anonymous said...

Yes, Simplicity 3709.