Sunday, August 15, 2010

Little Red Margaret Hood

I've been pondering what to dress Margaret as for Halloween this year.  It won't be too much longer before that decision is out of my hands and she has control, so I wanted to have my fun while I still can.

Store-bought costumes were spoiled for me when I was a child, as a result of a very creative and crafty mother and grandma, and I want to try to give Margaret's costumes at least a hint of that homemade touch.

I finally settled on Little Red Riding Hood.  Mostly because I think Margaret would look darling in a little red hood, but also because the legend of St. Margaret being eaten and then regurgitated by a dragon is thought to have influenced the fable.  I thought it was a neat connection.

I got a coupon in the mail from Kohl's the other day for $10 off any purchase.  Fritz and I stopped in yesterday, hoping to pick up some Melissa and Doug toys for cheap.  I wasn't impressed with the selection, so we dejectedly headed for the door.  While passing through the little girls' department, a little red gingham dress caught my eye.  Upon further inspection, it was just perfect for a Red Riding Hood costume.  Even better, it was marked down from $25 to $10.80.  With my coupon, I got it for $0.85.  Yay!

My mom mentioned some sweet little sequined shoes she saw at Wal-Mart, so we picked those up too, for just $9.

$10 in, and all I have left is to make her a red hood and cape.  We already have some white sweater tights.  Not bad.  I'm so excited to see her in the costume, and best yet, she can rewear the shoes and dress afterward at church.

No comments: