Friday, August 13, 2010

Food Waste Friday

I follow a blog called The Frugal Girl.  I was really inspired recently by one of her recurrent post themes, "Food Waste Friday," wherein she shares all the spoiled food she cleans out of her fridge each week.  Since I'm all about the accountability lately, I thought I'd follow her lead.

It's been a while since I did a massive fridge cleanout, so this is going to be a bit embarrassing to start.  We're pretty good about using up leftovers and fresh ingredients before they spoil, but those jars and bottles of things that can last for years in the fridge?  Ehh, sometimes they become like art fixtures and I just forget about them.

This week:

The pectin, olives, and applesauce have been in the fridge for ages.  It really was time to let them go.  They haven't come back yet, so I guess it wasn't true love.  The root beer is all on my husband.  He has a habit of drinking half a bottle and forgetting about the rest until it's flat.  The cherries, plums, sliced cucumber, half a can of corn, and half a can of refried beans are all my fault.  I went out of town and forgot about them until I got home and saw the science experiments growing in my fridge.

Oh well, there's always next week.

No comments: