Saturday, February 4, 2012

Toddler Snack Bucket

Our Toddler Lunch Buffet has been such a hit, I wanted to have a go at letting Margaret have a bit more choice in her snacking and encourage some self-sufficiency. So I made up a snack bucket for her.

Along with the snacks, I tossed in some divided plates and a sippy of water. I also made sure all the containers were ones she is able to open herself.

Every morning I fill it up, and she's free to eat whatever she likes from it whenever she wants up until an hour before dinner. I prepare a week's worth of snacks ahead of time and keep them in a bucket in the pantry to refill from during the week:

Pictured: Cuties (she can peel them herself), bananas, granola bars (she calls them candy bars!), packets of dried fruit (a splurge because they were on sale; usually I'd buy a big bag and divide them myself), mini boxes of raisins (I save the boxes and refill from a big canister), containers of whole wheat crackers/dry cereal/pretzel rods.

I also cleared out one of my fridge crisper drawers and filled it with cold snacks.

Pictured: yogurt, sippies of milk and water, containers of cottage cheese and hummus, cut up pepper jack cheese (her favorite!) and cold cuts.

The little sweetie had food poisoning or a tummy bug a while ago, and I was having a hard time getting her to eat anything afterward. This new snack system was such a novelty that she happily went to town on all the goodies, and it's been a hit ever since.


Photobucket

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this! We have a basket in the pantry but have been looking for an easier system for DD when she can't access the pantry. This is great! Thanks!

Laura Ingalls wannabe said...

I hope it works as well for you as it has for us. It's been delightfully convenient!