The nursing pads are simply 1 layer of fleece and 3 layers of flannel. Both materials were cast-offs from my mom. Free is great! I traced around a Nesquik lid for the shape (we have plenty of those hanging about, as it's all I can stomach many days) and surged all 4 layers together. Easy peasy.
I've never cloth diapered a newborn. We didn't start with Margaret until she was 6 weeks old. We used basic pinned prefolds and covers for her, which worked fine, but they could be a bit of a pain sometimes. For Poppy Seed, I made a variety so we can see what fits and works best.
The 2 all-in-ones are made from 1 layer of PUL and 2 layers of Birdseye pique (both of which I already had on hand), and 8 layers of flannel for the internal soaker (more free fabric from my mom).
The 2 pockets are made from 1 layer of on-hand PUL and 2 layers of Mom's flannel. The inserts are 3 layers of cute flannel remnants I had left over from making blocks.
|The pocket in action.|
The cutest diapers are undoubtedly the flannel fitteds. They're made of 3 layers of nice flannel I had on hand with internal soakers of 8 layers of mom's flannel.
|I can already picture a little bum all snuggled up in these.|
I made all the diapers in size small rather than newborn, as I assume we'll get a bit more wear out of them this way. They have fold-over laundry tabs and an extender tab in case I manage to get a peanut of a baby this time. I'd love to get a snap press at some point so I can make one-size diapers. Ahh, someday. For now, I managed 24 nursing pads and 8 diapers for a grand total of... FREE! Yay!